Relationships Education & Social, Personal, Emotional,
Citizenship & Trust
A bespoke PSHCE curriculum has been developed in response to promoting our pupils' spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development and links closely to the school's values. Each year group learns about pertinent issues linking to the following:
We deliver a curriculum built on theme-based learning to enthuse and engage our children. This curriculum includes lots of shared talk and opportunities to carry out research.
Within the SMSC element of the curriculum, and covertly across many areas of school, we seek to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. We aim to enable pupils to:
- understand how they can influence decision- making through the process of democracy
- appreciate that living under the rule of law protects individual citizens and is essential for well-being and safety
- understand that the freedom to choose and hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law
- accept that other people may have different faiths or beliefs and this should be accepted and tolerated
- understand the importance of identifying and dealing with discrimination
A variety of learning experiences are provided to maximise pupils' understanding and motivation to learn. These have included: 'marketplace' money-making challenge, Healthy Living Week, anti-bullying workshops, visits from external speakers, 'Living Eggs' project and a visit from a 'Pop-up farm.'
Some of the learning links to the Investors in Pupils standard for which the school was re-accredited in 2015.